Happy Valentine's Day to you all! It's been a fun, yet solemn day around the Griffith Household. After almost 10 years of having Isaiah, Dan and the rest of the family said goodbye to Isaiah. He didn't pass away, but we just finally made the decision to take him to the SPCA. For those of you who don't know, the SPCA will not euthenize animals. They typically find foster homes for the animals until someone will adopt them. Anyway, we have been thinking about this decision for quite some time for several reasons. Isaiah has very long hair, and because he is part chow his hair would shed all over the place, especially in the summertime. Not only the shedding, but he also is very prone to getting things stuck in his hair. I know this hair problem might sound like a small problem to most, the biggest hair problem is that Isaiah carries a lot of pet dander, which could in fact be hurting Josh's asthma symptoms. So, taking Isaiah to a new home, could mean Josh is a much healther child in the long run. It's very hard to care for two dogs and two children and keep them all healthy and clean. Isaiah has been in a bad habit of not being able to control himself, so he would just run through the house and knock anything down in his way, that would include the children. I think I would have to say the biggest reason is because he did take a snap at Nathan yesterday while we were outside playing. It was in his defense, but he could have hurt Nathan really bad. Nathan accidentally tripped over Isaiah while chasing bubbles, and when Isaiah snapped at him, it was really close to his head. I think he might have actually scratched the top of his head with one of his teeth. It really scared Nathan pretty badly. Isaiah has snapped the both kids a few times, and I think we both felt this would be best before he actually took a limb off. I don't think Isaiah is that aggresive, but he definitely could have hurt one of the boys at some point. Mommy has done her share of crying. Josh asked when Dan left with Isaiah if "Isaiah was coming back", and I explained to him that he wasn't, and he said "He's going to a new home". Mommy cried again!!!! I'm not real sure how to describe my feelings or Dan's feelings either. I think it is a relief in a way not having that burden, but yet at the same time very saddening to let him go. I certainly feel better taking him to a place where I know they won't euthenize him after so many days. Please keep Isaiah in your prayers that he will find a good, loving home! And pray that we won't regret this decision in the end!
1 comment:
Wow - sounds like it was a tough goodbye, but that you made the right decision for your family in the long run.
I hope you are all adjusting in the few days since you wrote this post - and while I'm sure you miss him, hopefully your home is now a little cleaner, calmer -- and joyful once again.
Post a Comment